Time: 22:30 hrs
Work was done Nov. 17th – Nov. 24th 2018
In a meeting of IECA (Igo Etrich Club Austria, the Austrian counterpart of EAA) I sought approval from my Austro Control technical examiner (the Austrian authority) to put the wing skins on. He ok’ed this as long as it was possible to inspect the interior with a mirror / borescope.
With all the prep work done, putting on the right wing skin was straight forward and easy. The only prep work left to do was to apply Ardrox AV30 to the mating surfaces with a foam paint roller, which I did immediatly before clecoing the skins.
One thing I did different compared to the testfit was to start with first clecoing the overlap of the top skins to rib 8 where I had some tension during test fit. It was much easier and no noticeable tension anywhere.
There is a line of three unused rivet holes behind rib 4. Mike at TAF confirmed, that nothing is attached there and that they should just be riveted closed.
Since I knew that I would not have enough hands to turn the wing upside down in order to rivet the bottom skins, I have raised the wing jig off the table a couple weeks ago by about 25 cm.
Using three boxes strategically placed underneath the wing structure to lift the bottom skin off the table close to the underside of the ribs made it easy to cleco the bottom skins in place myself.
I had to rivet the whole bottom skin in a bent forward and often twisted, overhead position, which – considering the number of rivets – was somewhat inconvenient. Stretching the work over a period of three days and frequently changing position this was ok.
It was quite a satisfying feeling to see the skins on. The fit seems to be quite good – no noticeable bulging or waviness.
As mentioned above, my technical examiner wants to be able to inspect the interior of the wing. This would not be possible at the wing step ribs once the tank is on. We therefore agreed on having the next inspection once the tank is finished but not yet riveted to the wing. So let the Proseal fun begin!
As a side note: it’s been almost exactly two years since I started the build. Thank you darling for your support!